Tuesday 8 April 2008

On Balaam's donkey and untrodden paths

About a month ago I decided to read the entire Bible from page 1. I've always thought I knew my Bible well, but the fascinating thing about it is that no matter how many times you've read a certain chapter or a passage, there will always be something new there that you somehow failed to register before. Such a feat was an excellent excuse for shopping, so I got myself a new Bible, the handsomely designed ESV Journaling version, and a pack of highlighters, just in case.

What I've found so far is that reading its books in their entirety gives a whole different feel to it. By doing so, you can't just cherry pick your favourite passages and dwell in their safety. There's plenty more to see and hear on the less familiar sections of the path, scenes both wonderful and gruesome.

One story that I don't think I had ever come across before is the one on Balaam's donkey and the angel, found in the Book of Numbers (22:22-35). In it, rather uncharacteristically for the Bible, animals have unhindered communication with both men and angels. The donkey argues and reasons with Balaam and unlike him, has the ability to see celestial beings. I found it quite an extraordinary story. It made me wonder what is it that my cat stares at every once in a while, all focused on a seeming presence in the room that I fail to perceive with any of my senses.

One more thing I got out from all this: I went jogging last Friday afternoon. It was such a miserable day, cold, foggy, drizzly... Actually, I loved it, it was perfect for jogging (and very much in line with my state of mind at the time). I was running a very familiar and safe route, when suddenly something made me abandon it and continue on a narrow path leading away from the concrete and the urban hustle and bustle. It was a semi-conscious decision, but I was so glad I made it. It was so good to feel the grass under my feet, touch the trees in passing as I ran by them, and come home all wet and muddy.

How biblical of me not do to the predictable thing for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment