Thursday 29 September 2016

International Podcast Day 2016

It was in the autumn of 2004 that I first discovered podcasting. My first iPod has since been replaced, but I still don't go anywhere without whatever device I can play podcasts on. Whether I'm cooking, going for a long walk, shopping or commuting, it's more than likely I'll be catching up on my favourite ones. On the occasion of September 30, International Podcast Day, I'm sharing my list of top 5 podcasts I've enjoyed the most during the past year.


On Point with Tom Ashbrook
Coming from WBUR/NPR, On Point is done in the best tradition of public radio. It has been one of those shows that initially got me into listening to podcasts. It covers a range of issues, from current affairs to science and history to medicine. Each show consists of an interview conduced by Tom Ashbrook and listeners calling in, asking questions and commenting. You can count on it always being informative, concise, and up-to-date.

Beyond Belief
Beyond Belief is BBC Radio 4's flagship series on religion. Each thirty-minute episode is a panel with several experts discussing a particular subject from different angles. Topics greatly vary, and among the recent ones were Rumi, debt, pacifism, mercy, trauma, and ghosts. The show is presented by Bernie Rea, a Northern Irish theologian who's been with the BBC since the 1970s.

Inspirational Living
The full title of this podcast is Inspirational Living: Motivation, Self-help, Spirituality & Positive Thinking. Weekly episodes last up to 20 minutes and consist of a reading from an inspirational piece of writing. What I particularly like about this podcast, is that a lot of the readings are from the early 1900s, a period that I love. It just gives the whole show an air of old-time radio.

The Black Tapes
This year has been the first in which I gave radio drama a shot - it's been a format I've never particularly enjoyed. Well, until now. The Black Tapes is produced by Pacific Northwest Stories and Minnow Beats Whale (both worth checking out for other projects). So far, the show has had two seasons with another one coming up. It's a docudrama about the supernatural and the paranormal, revolving around the enigmatic figure of Dr Strand and the journalist Alex Reagan. The podcast has quite a dedicated fan base, as can be seen on the podcast's Twitter account.

The Big Seance
Speaking of the supernatural, my single biggest discovery of 2016 has been The Big Seance podcast hosted by Patrick Keller. It's the podcast for "paranerds" - a word I first heard on this show and have since adopted with gusto. Episodes consist of interviews with people who are into different aspects of the paranormal / supernatural: book authors, photographers, psychics etc. Another regular feature is Spectral Edition with Tim Prasil - a brief segment reporting on ghost sightings mentioned in the 19th and early 20th century newspapers. It's all great fun!

All of the podcasts listed here are available on iTunes (et sim.) or on the individual websites. Please share your favourite podcasts in the comment section below. And happy Podcast Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment